Commercial License (CPL)
As a commercial pilot, you may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire and may be paid to act as pilot in command.
A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and does not hold an instrument rating will be endorsed with a prohibition against carrying passengers for hire on day VFR flights beyond 50 NM or at night.
Requirements To Obtain A Commercial Pilot License
- Be able to read, write, and converse fluently in English.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Hold at least a current third-class FAA medical certificate. Later, if your flying requires a commercial pilot certificate, you must hold a second-class medical certificate.
- Hold an instrument rating. A commercial pilot is presumed to have an instrument rating. If not, his/her commercial pilot certificate will be endorsed with a prohibition against carrying passengers for hire on day VFR flights beyond 50 NM or at night.
- Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor.
- Pass a knowledge test with a score of 70% or better. The commercial pilot knowledge test consists of 100 multiple-choice questions selected from the airplane-related questions in the FAA’s commercial pilot test bank.
- Accumulate appropriate flight experience and instruction (see 14 CFR 61.129). A total of 250 hours of flight time is required. Time requirements may be reduced to 190 hours if training at an FAA-Approved part 141 flight school.
- Successfully complete a practical (flight) test, which will be given as a final exam by an FAA inspector or designated pilot examiner; it will be conducted as specified in the FAA’s Commercial Pilot Practical Test Standards.
Choose Acent Aviation Flight School
Choose Ascent Aviation Flight School Van Nuys (Located at Van Nuys Airport) and begin your journey in aviation.
You can also take a look at some of our other services here or contact us at your convenience with any questions you may have.
Let your dreams take a flight!
Choose Ascent Aviation Academy located at Van Nuys Airport in Los Angeles and let your dreams and passions take flight. We can’t wait to hear from you and offer you the training you deserve.